Sunday, November 4, 2012

Teachers Helping Teachers

For the last few weeks, I've been MIA for a few different reasons - in the world of support, things always tend to be pick up right around the time of parent teacher conferences, so I've been pretty busy at work!

I've also recently decided to start a work-specific blog on edublog.  Do any of you out there have experience with edublog?  I'd love to check out some of your pages if you have them!  Feel free to leave a link in my comments section - I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and wondering if I should possibly hold off until after the December break to get it up and running.

Hurricane Sandy and the aftermath are also fresh on my mind this week.  As a former Hoboken resident and NYC teacher, it is unbelievable to see the pictures of the damage done to the five boroughs and New Jersey.  Some of my friends and former coworkers have been out of power for the entire week and are still not able to return home to their apartments.

Two years ago, when Hurricane Nicole (which wasn't publicized as a big deal) came up the coast, my car was parked on a side street outside of my apartment in Hoboken.  When I came outside that morning around 5:30 AM to head into work, my poor old Ford Taurus was half underwater (water over the engine and over the front seat of the car).  Luckily, my car is an animal and started up without a problem, but I can only imagine the state of the roads with a storm of this size.

I've been wondering about what I can do to help and luckily, I stumbled on a few awesome causes that help out teachers from the northeast that have been affected by Hurricane Sandy.

The first is Laurah, from the ESOL Odyssey.  Part of her classroom was destroyed in the storm, but that didn't stop her from creating an awesome system where teachers can request help and other teachers can step up and donate their own products from TpT and TN.  Just for one second, imagine walking into your classroom and seeing hours upon hours of your hard work destroyed in a single night.  I have donated several of my items, but please think about donating from your own store if you haven't already!


The second is Erica Bohrer over at Erica Bohrer's First Grade.  I've been a fan of Erica's TpT products for a long time, but I'm literally blown away by her generosity.  She is a resident of Lindenhurst, Long Island - a town that was badly flooded in the storm.   Please consider purchasing her hurricane unit below - all proceeds go to hurricane relief.  Plus, your kiddies are sure to have questions about the hurricane!!


To all of my friends impacted by the storm, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Stay strong!

8 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for doing this post. I had no idea about the Teachers Help Teachers link. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem!! This hits near and dear to my heart, so I'm more than happy to do my part :) Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

      Delete
  2. PS- Gave you a little shout out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog so I nominated you for a Liebster Award. You can see your nomination on my blog... http://secondgradewaves.blogspot.com/2012/11/whats-liebster-you-ask.html (Sorry, I don't know how to make a link.)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm heading there right now, thanks for the nomination!!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Woohoo! Cool! Not sure what it means, but I'm going to check it out right now, thanks for the nom! -Kate

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover